julie-header_zpshsulwtl6
 photo home_zps9vjcvuqz.png  photo contactus_zpspkuylm1n.png  photo aboutus_zpsyueddcnp.png  photo featuredon_zpst6xhuwqo.png

Friday, May 10, 2013

10 Year Wedding Anniversary - Our Personal Party Tips


I titled, tagged, and labeled this post with "our personal party tips", because looking back on our past ten years, it truly has been one personal party! My husband and I are like many married couples. Like many of you, we were best friends before we got married. We met in university. We knew each other five years before we tied the knot. We laughed together, we had a lot of fun together, and we shared everything with each other. I knew when I first started dating him, that he was the type of guy you married. It was his integrity and his solid moral character that drew me to him. Ten years of marriage, and a couple definitely has their ups and downs during those years. I'm so happy to say that we are still friends. Best friends with each other. I think about what makes our marriage work well, and I know it's because my husband and I both have a personal relationship with God. Because of our commitment to Him, it strengthens our commitment to each other. For my husband and I, divorce is not an option. And to be quite frank, when you take divorce off the table, you might as well have fun with the person you've chosen to spend the rest of your life with as opposed to living together in misery!


There is no place in the marriage that my husband and I share for pride. That's not to say it hasn't been there. We're both human. But when either of us displays any amount of pride, automatically problems arise. My husband is a sacrificial leader for our family. This is huge. And it's very rare to find in couples. Marriage takes work. We're only ten years in, with many more ahead of us, but we recognize that we both have to make the choice to keep our marriage our number one human relationship. It's a choice to respect each other. It's a choice to work together as a team. And it's a choice for us to remain passionately in love with each other.

(photographs taken by our friend Tyler Geel)

I think back to our wedding day. For some women, their wedding day is their most special day of their whole life. For some women, it's the day when they feel like a princess. For some women it's the day that they have envisioned and dreamed about since they were a little girl. Neither of those were true for me. It was a special day, true, but I had had an extremely stressful week leading up to it. I'd had a stressful six months leading up to it for that matter. For me, my wedding day was a day that signified the start of going to bed and waking up with my best friend. Our wedding day was just a day, and every day since then is truly our celebration. Our marriage has always been more important to us than our wedding day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips