julie-header_zpshsulwtl6
 photo home_zps9vjcvuqz.png  photo contactus_zpspkuylm1n.png  photo aboutus_zpsyueddcnp.png  photo featuredon_zpst6xhuwqo.png

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Bebop-A-Reebop Rhubarb Pie.


Have you seen the movie "A Prairie Home Companion"? {The title of this post is a reference to a song they did on that movie.} I love rhubarb. But down here in Myrtle Beach it is not found growing as commonly as it is up in Canada where I used to live. So when a good friend of mine gave me some rhubarb stalks from her plant, I looked forward to making a pie with it. After calling my mother for a recipe, I set out to make a strawberry rhubarb pie. I was impressed when my technologically challenged mom sent me the recipe out of her Better Homes and Garden Cookbook that she had scanned into the computer. {With the help of my dad, of course.} What I love about this recipe is the simplicity of all of the ingredients. They were all items I already had in my pantry.


Rhubarb Strawberry Pie

1 1/2 C     Sugar
1/4    C     All purpose flour
1/4    tsp   Salt
1/4    tsp   Nutmeg

3 cups of rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup sliced strawberries
Pastry for 2 crusts
1 tablespoon butter


Combine sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg. Add fruit, mixing well. Allow to stand for 20 minutes. Spoon into a pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Moisten the edge and cover with the top crust. Bake in a hot 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until done. Serve warm. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips