julie-header_zpshsulwtl6
 photo home_zps9vjcvuqz.png  photo contactus_zpspkuylm1n.png  photo aboutus_zpsyueddcnp.png  photo featuredon_zpst6xhuwqo.png

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Simple Leche Flan.


Growing up in the Philippines, leche flan was such a special treat. My mom didn't know how to make it, so we treasured this dessert when friends gave it to us as a gift. It wasn't until I was married, that I learned how to make flan. I learned from my friend's mother-in-law who was an immigrant from Puerto Rico. A bunch of friends and I sat at the island in her little kitchen and she showed us the proper way to make this delicacy. Although the Philippines and Puerto Rico happen to be on opposite sides of the globe, both countries have a strong Spanish influence. I have one friend that I went to school with in the Philippines, that I make this for her every time we get together. She will go off of her vegan diet just to eat this. It is her special treat. And every time I make this, I also think of the Abuela who taught me this recipe. I remember her plastic covered couches in her home and how she taught me to carefully swirl the sugar as I melted it in the pan, making sure it didn't burn.  


Leche Flan

3-4     Egg yolks
1        Tin sweetened condensed milk
1        Tin evaporated milk
1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract

Mix the above ingredients in a blender until combined. In a dish that won't break with the heat, melt 1 cup of white sugar on the stove top until is turns a caramel color. Be careful the sugar does not burn. Add the blender of combined ingredients to the melted caramel. Place your dish in a bain-marie. Bake at 325 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of your pan. Flip your flan over onto a plate, and allow the caramel to drizzle down the side of the flan. Allow to cool in the refrigerator over night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips